12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Raleigh State Capitol
Triangle Freethought Society is hosting the main National Day of Reason Event on the Capitol Grounds in Raleigh NC.
- 11:45 start with music by Eric Thomas, Helen Wolfson, Sammy Harris, Todd Stiefel, and Dan Barker, who will be playing his new song released at the Reason Rally
- Intro by Mark Zumbach, President Emeritus of TFS
- Amanda Knief “Be an Activist! How to Get Involved, and Why It Is Important”
- Dan Barker “Fighting the Good Fight: Legal Challenges for Separation of Church and State”
- Greta Christina “Why Are You Atheists So Angry?”
- Tracy Hollister “Vote Against Amendment One”
- Closing from Mark Zumbach
- 1:05 Group photo on stage
Our purpose is to advocate for the separation of church and state, and to promote reason over religious dogma. We feel that the National Day of Prayer is an unnecessary and dangerous incursion of religion–almost exclusively Christian–into government affairs.
We currently have a local issue that exemplifies the importance of this goal: in just 5 days there will be a primary election, in which voters will be asked to vote for or against a state constitutional amendment (Amendment One). This backward amendment, clearly based on biblical interpretation and promoted by religious fundamentalists, would legally enshrine marriage as only “between one man and one woman” with potentially grave consequences for all kinds of civil unions, gay or straight, for the children of such unions, and for health and welfare of all citizens who live within domestic partnerships. All are welcome and urged to attend!